The type of flooring we choose to install within our homes usually boils down to personal choice rather than due to one type of flooring being demonstrably superior to another. What we can say is that some types of floor covering do have several advantages over others, depending on how you use your home.
To learn of these advantages as well as disadvantages, keep reading and we’ll provide an overview of all of the common flooring options.
Hardwood floor coverings have always been popular but they’ve also always been one of the most expensive options for those wanting wood or the look of wood. Putting aside the cost to one minute, hardwood flooring makes for a timeless classic that not only looks good but gets even better with age. The right high quality hardwood flooring can last a lifetime. Some pros and cons include;
- Hardwood floors are durable, aesthetically pleasing and easy to clean. They can also add substantially to the value of a property.
- Hardwood floors make for a loud surface when traversed in shoes.
- Both the purchase and installation costs can be high.
If real wood flooring is a must have then it’s unlikely that any potential drawbacks will change your mind. We personally feel that the high capital outlay is worthwhile as the comfort and feel of a real hardwood floor is priceless.
No longer the preserve of the bathroom or kitchen, floor tiles are available in a range of sizes and materials. We often find that some homeowners choose to specify a tile floor throughout their property. One common option is the period quarry tile which provides an authentic rustic feel with the stone tile also gaining in popularity. Pros and cons include:
- Ceramic tiles are stylish, durable and scratch resistant.
- Additional materials are available such as marble, porcelain, slate and granite, all of which are easy to clean and resist staining.
- Tiled homes will likely require underfloor heating which can be expensive to install and run.
- Tiled floors are another loud surface when crossed wearing shoes.
Carpet fell out of favour for a while with many opting for laminate instead but it’s definitely coming back into fashion – especially when you consider the range of high quality carpets available on the market. Carpets works exceptionally well in low traffic environments as well as in living rooms to provide a snug and cosy feel. Some points for consideration include;
- Carpet is one of the cheapest flooring options available with economy ranges available for all those on a budget.
- Carpeting can become stained and worn very easily if care is not taken.
- Carpet can require time consuming upkeep to keep it looking its best.
Your Floor Covering of Choice
The choice as they say is yours. We suggest that you visit a store or showroom to really get a feel of what would work best for your home. Flooring stores are a common sight across Australia with stores in Melbourne, New South Wales and Sydney – we suggest that you visit a few different branches across different chains to compare prices. You will often find considerable differences in price.
The right flooring is the flooring that makes you happy so choose wisely and you’ll be able to enjoy each of your rooms for years to come.