With summer almost upon us, you need your air conditioner more than ever. It’s the hottest of summer days that make your air conditioner work the hardest. In case you aren’t already an AC user, you can get your split or windows AC online or from a retail store. There’s a wide array of choices to select from. But in case you already use an air conditioner, you need to make sure that it’s in the best of shape, so that you don’t end up feeling the heat one sunny and sultry afternoon. Here are the best AC tips to beat the heat.
- Make sure to check and replace the filters at a regular interval, preferably once a month. This becomes an essential practice during summer since the air is filled with allergens and dust particles. A clogged filter would make it difficult for the air conditioner unit to work efficiently. Rather, it will have a hard time circulating clean air, thereby raking up the electricity tariffs. Having clean filters thus ensures an effective and simple way to conserve energy and save money.
- Avoid placing any heat producing devices near the thermostat of your air conditioner. Things like lamps and TV sets emanates heat which is sensed by the thermostat, resulting in the air conditioner running longer than required. Also, in case you are installing a new thermostat, do not place it somewhere which is directly under sunlight.
- Another important tip that can help you in the long term is replacing your old air conditioner. Most old models are no longer efficient, and require excessive energy to achieve the required cooling. This is not good for your pockets. Instead, spend your money on energy efficient latest air coolers, which can save electricity tariffs while meeting your cooling needs. Also, while looking for a new model, opt for the one that suits your requirements. Do not choose too low or too high capacity, as that will only increase the energy consumption. Also, make sure to go for a brand with good after sales service and warranty, as you would not be required to shell out money for maintenance.
- One of the smart ways to make sure you keep your AC in a good condition is minimal tweaking of the thermostat. Most modern ACs come equipped with powerful sensors that can act according to the changes during the course of the day, as well as different days. If your setting keeps changing, it might result in higher usage of power and more energy consumption.
- Make sure there are no leakages or openings in your living area or room. Such air leaks can make the AC unit take up more energy. By caulking and weather stripping such leaks, and by adding insulation around the AC ducts, you will be able to lower energy consumption significantly. Tinting your windows from inside can also contribute to faster cooling, with the unit requiring considerably lower power.
So with these tips at your disposal, get ready to beat the summer heat.